I spent all of last weekend writing a paper for one of my classes, something I don't get to do anymore. I brought it to my professor earlier in the week to edit, and he literally asked me if I was an english major because my writing was so strong. I was so shocked by the compliment, I wasn't sure how good my paper was. I was blessed to have such an influential english teacher in high school who really transformed my writing, in an academic sense. I've always had a passion for more creative writing, and have maintained some kind of blog for years now. I've seen my writing become more and more casual and conversational over the years, but apparently it was something my professor appreciated. It really got me thinking about what I'm studying now in school, and what I want to do in my life.
My mom and I eerily both had dreams last night that involved me dropping mechanical engineering, which honestly scared me. Also, this week I was talking to a friend about how my dream job was to be an event planner. She straight up asked me why I haven't considered changing my major to parks & rec. It's been in the back of my mind for quite some time, and I felt so strange telling her why I haven't switched. I'm doing this because of the practicality of the major. I'm guaranteed a job after college, I can live anywhere I want, and I'll be able to support myself with it. Now, don't get me wrong, I have some "dream jobs" in the engineering field too. And I've always been an engineer, I've known I would study it since the early days of high school.
While I don't think I will ever drop my major, everything really got me thinking about the future. I want to be happy, I need to be happy, I've learned enough about that in the last year. I have talents and I have passions and I have goals. I am a talented student, especially with math and engineering-related stuff, but my passions lie elsewhere. I love photography, and writing, and visiting new places, and creating beautiful things. I have goals: I want to be successful now and in the future, I want to live comfortably, to be able to see the world and support myself, to be able to do the things I enjoy.
I am so excited to see what I do in the future. I've been having so many conversations about what I want to do with my degree and exploring the places I can go. And on the side, I will be spending quite a bit of time exploring this beautiful world with my camera in hand. What I've taken from all of the crazy conversations and thoughts and dreams I've been having lately is that God is trying to show me that I have a wide variety of talents. I am not a one dimensional person. I can do so many great things with what He has given me and this is going to take me so far in life.
And that is what sense my overused brain has made out of my life this week.
[Pirates Cove]
No comments:
Post a Comment