I've been waiting for this day since the moment I broke my foot, a journey in itself. I won't be one to say that this injury "changed me" or helped me in any way. No, this has sucked, so much. I spent all of Christmas break on the couch. I had to get driven to every single one of my classes. I can't even tell you what I ate for Thanksgiving dinner. Breaking my foot in half brought so much darkness to my life, both mentally and physically (seriously, it's like my skin has never seen the sun). The worst part is that I'm nowhere near being at 100%. I've learned to take things day by day, and finally today I felt well enough to leave the apartment.
I went for a walk/hike. Not sure what you would call it, it wasn't much of a hike at all for a normal person, but it was rough after not walking for such a long time. As difficult as it was, it brought me so much happiness. It was sunny, I could actually move under my own power, and I had a great playlist going. "Shinin' On Me" by Jerrod Niemann set the tone for the day. The lyrics were perfect for the way I was feeling. I'm stressed, I want to feel better, and more than anything I wanted what was once an easy walk to feel that way again. At the same time, it was 71 degrees, there were smiling faces all around me, and I WAS WALKING.
It's the little things in life that mean the most, and it's the little things that keep me going. I've never been one to give up. One day I'll be able to run, seriously hike, and play volleyball again, and for now I'll just enjoy a dirt trail and my new foot.
[Laguna Lake]


No comments:
Post a Comment